Thursday, November 12, 2015

Savior, May I Love My Brother


Lord, I Would Follow Thee.

"Savior, may I learn to love thee,
Walk the path that thou hast shown,
Pause to help and lift another,
Finding strength beyond my own.
Savior may I learn to love thee--
Lord, I would follow thee,

Who am I to judge another
When I walk imperfectly?
In the quiet heart is hidden
Sorrow that the eye can't see.
Who am I to judge another?
Lord, I would follow thee.

I would be my brother's keeper;
I would learn the healer's art.
To the wounded and the weary
I would show a gentle heart.
I would be my brother's keeper--
Lord, I would follow thee.

Savior, may I love my brother
As I know thou lovest me,
Find in thee my strength, my beacon,
For thy servant I would be.
Savior, may I love my brother--
Lord, I would follow thee."

This has been one of my favorite hymns for a while now. I love the tune, and I love the words even more. This is also the hymn that has been running through my head almost constantly ever since hearing the news of the new policy about LGBTQ Mormon and their children. This hymn has become the prayer of my heart.

I urge my sisters and brothers to absorb these words, In all that you do, work on loving others as a way of expressing your love for God. Regardless of how you personally feel about marriage equality, realize that there are many who are in a great deal of pain right now, that there are many of our sisters and brothers who are walking around with "sorrow that the eye can't see", and with sorrow that can be seen, and just LOVE them. Don't try to explain why they shouldn't be hurting, don't question their testimony or faith or try to call them to repentance, don't try to defend the policy that is hurting them so deeply. Practice your faith by mourning with those who mourn and by loving practically. You see, it's easy to say you love someone, but those words mean nothing unless they are accompanied by action that backs the words up.



"Savior, may I love my brother as I know thou lovest me, find in thee my strength, my beacon, for thy servant I would be. Savior, may I love my brother-- Lord, I would follow thee."

No comments:

Post a Comment